Sunset Shorebird Photography w/ Ray Hennessy
August 20 @ 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm$50
We are very excited to announce this new photography workshop for 2019!
Join New Jersey professional wildlife photographer, Ray Hennessy on this shorebird based photography workshop at Island Beach State Park. You and 5 other participants will kayak with Ray and an IBSP Naturalist to the Sedge Island Marine Conservation Zone during the late afternoon to sunset. You will paddle a short distance to a small sandbar where Ray will instruct participants on how to photograph stunning portraits of shorebirds and wading birds during the golden hour (sunset is at 7:52pm).
Sit-on-top kayaks are included with the workshop, but if you have your own that you would like to use, then you can bring that (no discount for use of your own boat, sorry). In the event of rain or other adverse weather (very high winds/thunderstorms), the event will be cancelled and full refunds given. Confirmation of the event will be sent to participants on the morning of the event. Minimum age to attend is 18.
- Participants will need to bring their own photography equipment (dSLR camera, long telephoto lens, tripod, gear bag).
- Recommended gear includes a crop sensor (APS-C) or full frame digital SLR camera (dSLR). A lens with a minimum focal length of at least 300mm. A tripod or monopod.
- Participants with prior kayaking and photography experience are preferred.
- Please dress accordingly and be prepared to get wet (you may be laying down in the shallow water to photograph birds at eye level) and bring water shoes or Teva/Chaco style sandals to wear in the water. Please NO FLIP FLOPS!
- If you bring your own kayak then you must arrive at least 30 minutes early to drop off kayak and park vehicle. All other attendees should arrive 15 minutes before beginning of event (4pm).
- You will be boating on open water with your photography gear, so it is highly recommended that you bring a dry bag to stow your gear. We will not be responsible for you ruining your gear!
If you have any questions before registering, please do not hesitate to contact us!